EOS Destination Workshops
Birds As Art: Morro Bay
- Presented by:
- Arthur Morris (Bio)
- EOS Destination Workshops
- March 20, 2015 - March 22, 2015
- Morro Bay, California
- Accommodations and most meals are the responsibility of the attendee though we have set up a special rate at the Inn at Morro Bay
Inn at Morro Bay
60 State Park Road
Morro Bay, California 93442
Mention Canon Workshop to receive $130 rate
Rate does not include taxes & fees.
Room block expires February 20, 2015.
Cancellation less than 30 days in advance subject to penalty
- Canon Live Learning
Arthur Morris, award winning nature and wildlife photographer, is well known for his exhibits, multiple publications and as a top nature photography teacher. Join Art in one of the most beautiful and scenic places on the planet to photograph a large variety of birds of the sea and shore, where he will teach how to photograph birds as a form of art.
The star of the show will be Long-billed Curlew. There will be lots of Marbled Godwits and Willets as well as lots of the smaller shorebird species. Black Oystercatcher is likely and we should get to photograph large flocks of Western Sandpipers in flight over the bay. With any luck we should enjoy some great sunrise and sunset photography.
Students will learn how to properly expose and create artistically designed images. You will also learn what to look for while editing your work to make stronger images as well as digital editing skills and techniques.
The Canon gear we will provide for students to learn and experiment with will only further enhance the experience. Out on the trail, we recommend telephoto lenses from 300mm (with and without teleconverters) to create the best bird photography, as well as the EF 500mm f/4L IS II USM, EF 600mm f/4L IS II USM and EF 800mm f/5.6L IS USM lenses. The workshop will include classroom instruction, field demonstrations and group critiques.
The workshop is limited to 16 students so you will have plenty of attention and support from Art and one of our highly skilled Canon technical representatives. You will shoot elbow to elbow in the field with Art, learning his award winning techniques and essential aspects of bird photography. And throughout the course, students will learn professional insights and techniques from Art and have the opportunity to print 1-2 of your favorite images as well as learn essential processing tips.
- Recognizing and evaluating a situation/learning to see like a professional
- Choosing your perspective
- Getting the right exposure: basic principles, checking for “blinkies,” exposing to the right and evaluating/adjusting the histogram
- Tripod handling and handholding techniques
- Getting sharp images
- Light angle, head angle and what the orientation of the subject is to the imaging sensor
- Understanding what wind direction has to do with bird photography
- Flight photography basics
- A variety of images for your professional portfolio
Please bring your favorite camera, together with any lenses you want to shoot with (both wide angle and tele-photo), plenty of charged battery packs and memory cards, a sturdy tripod (a must!) and a laptop computer for downloading images. You will also have the opportunity to submit images to the on-site technical representative, who will make one or two prints for you to take home.
A firm understanding of your camera operations including using manual mode, f-stops and shutter speed is needed. This workshop is for intermediate and advanced photographers. Please read the agenda to understand the workshop outline.
- Canon gear loans
- Lunch on two days of the workshop
- Transportation & Admission to Field Photography Sessions
- 1 - 2 prints of your work to take home, circumstances permitting
This is a Canon Live Learning Event Learn More