The latest firmware update for the EOS 7D is now available from the Canon website. Firmware Version 1.2.5 includes the following fixes/improvements:
1. Fixed a rare phenomenon in which there were rare cases where movie files taken could not be opened when repeatedly shooting movies with specific CF cards.
2. Fixed a rare phenomenon in which there were cases where "Err 02" appeared when repeatedly shooting still images with specific CF cards.
3. Fixed a phenomenon that occurred when using high-capacity (32 GB or greater) CF cards. If either a CF card with only a little available space remaining or the battery was removed and then reinserted into the camera, and then the user attempted to start shooting movies immediately, shooting would stop.
4. Improved the writing/reading speeds when using UDMA 7-compatible CF cards.
5. Fixed a phenomenon that occurred when custom function C.Fn 4-1 was set to assign IS start to the AF stop button on the lens. When used with lenses that do not have an AF stop button, the IS function would not work.
6. Corrected some mistakes in the menu screens displayed in Arabic and Portuguese. This applies to models in overseas markets. The models for the Japanese market do not display those languages.
Of particular interest to many pros is fix #4: CF cards using the new UDMA 7 standard started selling in March. With the introduction of Firmware Version 1.2.5, the EOS 7D is the first Canon SLR to feature improved data-transfer speeds with these new CF cards. With this update, the 7D's card-writing speed for UDMA 7 CF cards is about 3.3 times faster than it was with earlier firmware versions. However, even with Firmware Version 1.2.5, the 7D's card-writing speed is about the same for both UDMA 7 and UDMA 6 CF cards.
To find the update, follow this link to go directly to the Drivers &Software area for the EOS 7D. In the Firmware section, you should see two options:
- eos7d-v125.dmg (for Mac OS)
- eos7d-v125.exe (for Windows)
Click to download the version you need based on your OS. The firmware upgrade procedure is the same as previous upgrades for EOS cameras:
1. Download the zipped firmware file to your hard drive
2. Copy the downloaded .FIR file to a CF memory card by inserting the card into a card reader and dragging/dropping the file to the card
3. Install the CF card into your camera and call up Firmware Ver. x.x.x. in the EOS 7D's 3rd set-up menu (with the yellow wrench)
4. Select OK when asked if you want to upgrade to the new version
Note that full PDF instructions for the upgrade procedure will accompany the firmware upgrade when you download the zipped file from the site. Be sure to read and thoroughly understand the steps before attempting to install it into your camera.
- eos 5d mark ii
- eos 7d
- eos-1d mark iv
- white papers
- autofocus modes
- autofocus techniques
- cheat sheets
- cinema eos
- cmos sensors
- eos 50d
- eos 5d mark iii
- eos 60d
- eos c300
- eos c300 pl
- eos-1d mark iii
- eos-1d x
- eos-1ds mark iii
- non linear editing
- product tutorials
- speedlite 580ex ii
- speedlite 600ex-rt
- xf 305