While not the smallest option in the PowerShot line, the G-series has firmly established a reputation as "the pro's compact camera." The newest G15 (successor to the PowerShot G12 model) uses a 12.1MP, 1/1.7-inch size Canon-produced CMOS sensor and DIGIC 5 processor, and a totally new lens that now has maximum aperture of f/1.8~2.8 – more than a stop faster than its predecessor. RAW, JPEG or RAW + JPEG images can be captured, at ISOs from 80~12,800 when set by the user. Full manual control is possible, aided by an updated stacked-dial design, and traditional front/rear dial operation.
- Highest-resolution LCD monitor ever in PowerShot series – approx. 922,000 dots
- Superb new lens: still 28-140mm (equivalent) zoom coverage, but more than one stop wider max aperture, and dramatically faster AF operation
- Choice of exposure modes: Manual, Tv, Av, Program, Full Auto with advanced scene detection technology, and 10 user-selectable Special Scene modes
- Optional WP-DC48 waterproof case is dedicated for the PowerShot G15; waterproof to depths of 140 feet (40m), and useable on-land as well
- Full HD 1920x1080 video, using power of DIGIC 5 processor for Canon's Fine Detail Movie Processing – even more detail, sharpness and less noise in video files